WHAT IS LECHE FLAN?
Leche Flan is a traditional Filipino dessert made of evaporated milk, condensed milk, and egg yolks. It also has a layer of caramelized sugar that turns into syrup after cooking them together.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 10 egg yolks
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk – – or fresh milk
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest – (optional)
- 9 tablespoons granulated sugar
HOW TO COOK LECHE FLAN?
The traditional way to cook leche flan is to steam it using a steamer. But nowadays, it is also common to bake it in the oven using bain-marie or a water bath. Rice cooker can also be used as a steamer.
- First, you have to make the caramelized sugar. Simply add sugar to the learners and cook it over medium heat until it melts into a texture similar to molten-lava. Let it cool down and set.
- Next is to make the custard by combining the egg yolks, condensed milk and evaporated milk.
- Pour this mixture to the now hardened caramelized sugar.
- Place the learners in a steamer or a bain-marie and steam until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cooled down (in the fridge) to set. To serve, turn it over on a plate with the caramel layer on top.
THE SECRET TO A CREAMY AND SMOOTH LECHE FLAN
-This Leche Flan was baked in the oven in a water bath instead of steamed.
-Try not to beat too fast to avoid adding air to the egg-milk mixture.
-When making the caramel, make sure that all the sugar has completely melted and not gritty.
- Try not to burn the sugar when doing the caramel. Burnt sugar will give the Leche Flan a bitter taste.
- You can add a bit of water to the sugar to melt it faster.