4 to 4 1/2 cup flour plus also for dusting
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
1 cup lukewarm milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 large eggs beaten
2 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled
strawberry jam or jam of choice
vegetable oil for frying
icing sugar for dusting
You will also need:
round cookie cutter
1/2 round tip
- Combine the yeast with 2 tablespoons of the milk and 2 tablespoons sugar and let sit until foamy, about 5 to 10 minutes then add to the flour with the leftover milk.
- In a mixing bowl Mix, 4 cups flour and salt then add the yeast.
- Add the eggs and butter to the flour mixture.
- Begin to combine the ingredients into a soft, but not sticky, dough. Add a little extra milk if wanted, 1 tablespoon at a time, or work in extra flour if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Strike down the risen dough then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few seconds.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin then gradually roll out the dough to about 1/2″ thick. Cut out into 3 to 4-inch rounds with a gently floured cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps to make more rounds.
- Put the doughnuts on lightly floured baking sheets, spacing them apart so they don’t touch when rising, and cover lightly with a dry towel. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Fill a fryer 3-inches high with vegetable oil and heat at about 350 F. Fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden and puffed, turning regularly, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the doughnuts from the oil and put on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Let cool slightly and fill a pastry bag, fitted with a 1/2″ round tip, with jam.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- Enjoy 🙂